Is it Worth it to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
No one anticipates becoming the plaintiff of a personal injury claim in Arizona. Accidents are unexpected; they catch victims off-guard, often at the worst possible times in life. If the worst does happen, take the right steps toward protecting yourself and recovering fair compensation for your damages. One of these steps might be hiring a personal injury lawyer, depending on the circumstances.
Signs That You Should Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
The civil courts in Arizona give you a choice: represent yourself (pro se) or hire a lawyer to represent you. If you choose pro se, it will be up to you to meet the requirements of a personal injury lawsuit, including the burden of proof in establishing a defendant’s liability. In most courts, judges hold pro se plaintiffs to the same standards as attorneys. Typically, it is only advisable to go pro se during a personal injury claim if you have very minor injuries or losses, such as property damage only. Otherwise, you should hire a lawyer to handle the claim for you.
- Life-changing injuries. It is critical to hire an attorney if an accident inflicted catastrophic, life-altering injuries on you or a loved one. Serious injury claims require specialized skills, training and knowledge of Arizona’s legal system. If you have a lot on the line with your case, use an attorney to obtain the compensation you need.
- Significant losses. If you have expensive damages, such as a totaled vehicle or years of prospective medical bills, it is important to consult with an attorney. In general, a personal injury lawyer will be able to obtain higher compensatory awards for your serious damages than you can recover alone.
- Insurance bad faith. Insurance companies do not always handle claims or treat clients fairly. If you believe you are the victim of insurance bad faith, use an attorney to help you go up against the insurance provider. A lawyer can hold an insurance carrier accountable and negotiate on your behalf for a fair payout.
When in doubt, consult with an attorney about whether or not you need legal representation. An attorney’s time is money – an experienced personal injury lawyer will not accept a claim he or she believes would fare well with pro se litigation. You can trust an attorney to be honest with you about whether or not he or she is the right fit or whether you need an attorney at all. If your claim does meet the need for a lawyer, hiring one from the beginning of the process could help you obtain full compensation.
The Benefits of Hiring an Attorney
If your case involves any unusual or complicated factors, it may be in your best interest to hire a personal injury lawyer. Multiple defendants, liability disputes, lack of insurance available, workers’ compensation claims, comparative negligence and wrongful death are all examples of complications that could make it worthwhile to hire a lawyer. A legal representative will give you many benefits that you will not have on your own.
- Legal knowledge about your type of claim.
- Investigators to look into your accident.
- The ability to avoid common mistakes and pitfalls.
- Advanced legal resources.
- A team of attorneys protecting your rights.
- Aggressive negotiation strategies.
- Trial litigation capacities.
- Better case results.
Final settlements and judgment awards for different plaintiffs over the years have shown that injury claim payouts are consistently higher for claimants with attorneys. Personal injury lawyers know how to navigate claims and fight for maximum compensation in ways that insurance companies understand. Even after an attorney deducts his or her service fees, the claimant will most likely receive greater compensation than he or she would have alone – all while enduring less stress. If this sounds like the legal experience you wish to have, hiring a personal injury lawyer might be the right choice for you and your injury claim.