Trucking Accident Damages and Compensation
Trucking Accident Damages and Compensation for Injury Victims
If you have been injured in a trucking or other accident caused by the negligence of someone else, you will generally be entitled to all damages to make you “whole.” The following are general categories of damages that you may be entitled to:
- Damages for medical care and related expenses. Compensation for medical care and related expenses is determined by the actual cost of such expenses, and can also include compensation reasonably likely to be sustained as the result of future medical care.
- Vehicle damage. Vehicle damage compensation is based upon the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of the accident.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering includes both physical pain and mental or emotional pain or distress. In some cases, injury victims may even be compensated for being in immediate fear of death.
- Lost wages. Lost wages includes the reasonably likely wages that a person would have earned had the accident not occurred.
- Loss of enjoyment. In some severe accidents, an injured person may no longer be able to participate in activities that were once a part of the person’s life. Loss of enjoyment can include physical relationships with a spouse, participation in sports or other athletic activities, or other activities that are no longer possible.
- Decreased earnings capacity. In some cases, an injury may either prevent a person from working completely, or may prevent the person from engaging in their occupation or profession, thus requiring them to work in a different profession or occupation with a much lower earnings potential. In such cases, the injured person is entitled to the difference between what they likely would have earned prior to their injury and the lesser amount that they are likely to earn following their injury.
The foregoing is only a partial list of potential damages that may be recoverable; once we learn about your case we can better advise you as to the damages that may apply in your case. If you have lost a family member, please see visit our wrongful death damages in trucking cases. Our Phoenix personal injury lawyers are dedicated to helping victims of negligence and can help you; contact us today.